Getting jittery about the approaching winter? Many people do, and it is called SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. The doctors have diagnosed this as a form of mental illness that affects certain people due to the changes in season. The peculiarity of this is that it comes and goes around the same time of the year. The symptoms may probably start during the fall and continue through the winter months, and some people can experience this during summer. Be it winter or summer, and SAD is a state of depression that is seasonal in occurrence. So if you have a history, then it is good to be prepared before your symptoms start. This article will give you an insight into the condition called a seasonal affective disorder or SAD and information on the best vitamins that can fight the condition.
The symptoms of SAD
SAD is true to its name, and people who suffer from this disorder are usually depressed and feel worthless. Here are a few symptoms that can tell you that you are suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder:
- Feeling low or depressed
- The incapacity to enjoy
- Very low in energy
- Sleep disorders: either sleeping the whole day or not getting enough sleep
- Not able to concentrate
- Feeling agitated for no reason
- Feeling suicidal
- A feeling of hopelessness or guilt
Who can fall prey to this illness?
Reasons are unknown, but studies suggest that women are more prone to this disease, and young people are the most affected. People as young as 18 to 30 years are the main targets of this mental health condition. Certain factors can likely be the reason for your mental state of SAD:
- If you reside in an area where you are not exposed to sunlight
- If you are a bi-polar or already suffering from depression
- If you have a family history of SAD or any other type of depression
Treatment for SAD
If you are feeling the winter blues, don’t take it lightly, it might be you can fight it off with a few simple therapies, medication, or just the intake of the correct nutrients that can help. Light therapy or phototherapy has been found effective in treating SAD. If you live in a place where there is not much sun coming up, it is better to move into a sunnier place. This may help you fight your depression. So get help the correct way and make your life more beautiful.
Correct nutritional support or with precision nutrition an individual can get out of this mode of unhappiness. Every individual nutritional need is different, and focusing on the exact nutritional need of the individual is the key.
Vitamins that can help you overcome SAD
- Vitamin D: – vitamin D3 has been found very effective in fighting SAD symptoms. Studies show that deficiency of this vitamin can cause depression. So trying to balance the need in your body can help cope with SAD or any type of depression. Don’t argue that you are getting enough sunlight and proper food rich in vitamins. Sometimes all of this cannot fulfill your body’s needs. So to get the perfect dosage, you can talk to a dietician or a nutritionist and chart out your daily diet.
- Vitamin B: – according to research, people suffering from vitamin B deficiency like vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and vitamin B 9 all have been linked to depression. So if you try to balance this most probably, it may help fight SAD.
- Omega 3: – This is also a key nutrient your body needs; though studies are still going on, it is a known fact that Omega fatty acids are a key ingredient in keeping our body and mind healthy.
Find your correct dosage.
Every individual has different nutritional needs, and buy a few vitamins and including them in your daily diet is not the correct method. Taking the help of people who know this field can positively help you. Precision nutrition is the most effective way of getting your body what it wants. Find your correct dosage through proper channels and let your body and mind find a way to fight the SAD symptoms.